Trademark Registration in Pakistan
Trademark Registration is one of the key steps to establishing your business’s identity in the market. If you register your logo and other Trademarks, such as slogans, characters, symbols, or images related to your brand, you can protect your business’s reputation. It also gives you a competitive advantage in the marketplace if you have a registered Trademark. We can help you register your Trademarks under local law if you are located in Karachi, Islamabad, or Rawalpindi! We provide comprehensive Trademark Registration services to businesses across these three cities.
Trademark Registration: A Complete Guide
You can find all the information you need about Trademark Registration here. Registration of a Trademark is not required by law in Pakistan, but it is necessary to protect your business and products. The Trademarks Registration Forms are available at the offices of the Trademarks Registrar in Islamabad, Karachi, and Lahore in order to start the registration process.
What are Trademarks?
Trademarks are words, symbols, or phrases that identify the source of a product or service. A Trademark allows you to distinguish your goods or services from those of your competitors. In a Trademark, a company’s name, logo, slogan, image, sound, or smell can all be used.
Trademarks are graphic representations that distinguish one’s goods or services from those of others, and they may include words, phrases, symbols, designs, or any combination of these.
Trademarks are distinctive identifiers that distinguish businesses from each other on the market. The registration of your Trademark gives you legal ownership and prevents others from using it without your permission.
Trademark Registration is of utmost importance
Trademark Registration gives the owner exclusive rights to the use of their brand name, logo, or design as part of their goods or services, which gives them protection from imitation and infringement on behalf of their products and services. Trademark Registration is primarily meant to protect the name of the company, as well as to prevent any action that may cause confusion among customers regarding the product or service that the company offers.
Trademarks can be classified into three types:
- Word marks (standard character marks),
- special fonts and designs (design marks)
- A slogan.
Word marks (standard character marks)
The Standard Mark entitles the owner to exclusive use of the mark in connection with the goods or services it identifies.
Special Fonts and Designs (Design Marks)
A design mark is a type of Trademark that protects the visual design of a product or service that is associated with the brand. Using a design mark registration prevents others from copying your design which may cause customers to be confused.
A slogan is a very important part of any business. In addition to creating an identity for the company, it can also be used to promote its products and services. A good slogan can make or break a business.
Other types include:
A Collective Trademark
Collective marks are Trademarks that are registered by an association or other organization on behalf of its members as a collective mark.
A Certified Trademark
Certification marks are Trademarks that certify that the goods or services bearing the mark conform to certain requirements.
A Service Trademark
Last but not least, a service mark can be defined as a Trademark that is used to identify services rather than goods.
We can help you register your design mark in Karachi, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, and the rest of Pakistan. Learn more about how we can protect your business by contacting us today.
The benefits of Trademark Registration
In order to establish rights in a mark, it is only necessary to use it in commerce. There is no need to register your Trademark. However, Trademark Registration provides several advantages: You can use your registered mark exclusively on the goods and services you describe in your registration.
Trademark Registration offers many benefits, including:
- Trademark Registration provides legal protection for your brand. If someone uses your mark without your permission, you can take action against them.
- By registering your mark, you can prove ownership more easily. In the event you need to enforce your rights in court, this can be important information.
- Trademarks can be a valuable asset to a business. You might be able to sell or license your mark to others, or use it as collateral for a loan.
- Consumers are more likely to trust registered Trademarks than unregistered Trademarks. Your business can benefit from increased sales and market share as a result.
- Your goods/services will have a distinctive identity in the marketplace;
- Legal protection from infringement;
- Increases customer loyalty;
- Licenses can be obtained;
- If necessary, legal action can also be taken against anyone who uses the mark without permission.
- Your Trademark gives you exclusive rights, even if it is rarely used
- The exclusive right to use the mark nationwide on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the registration and legal presumption of ownership
Trademark Registration Process in Karachi, Islamabad, and Rawalpindi by our firm
Getting a Trademark registered in Karachi, Islamabad, and Rawalpindi is an easy and straightforward process because we are experts in this field. Choosing a class in which to register a Trademark is the first step. The Trademarks Ordinance, 2001 lists 45 different classes of goods and services. The list includes everything from chemical products to telecommunications services.
A Trademark application must be filed with the Registrar of Trademarks once you have selected the class or classes.
Process for filing a Trademark application
In Pakistan, you can apply for Trademark Registration online under the Intellectual Property Organization Pakistan (IPO) Law in order to protect your brand name, logo, etc. from infringement. An application for Trademark Registration must be submitted to IPO on Form TM-A, which includes the applicant’s personal information, such as their name and firm name, address, and description of goods and services, along with Schedule “F”. The application should be signed by you or your authorized agent (an advocate).
Our Trademark Attorney with Years of Experience in Trademark Registration
Your brand is too important to leave room for error when it comes to protecting it. It is best to register a Trademark and hire a Trademark Attorney to help you do this. Having a Trademark Attorney on your side ensures that your application goes through smoothly. With years of experience in Trademark Registration, our firm specializes in providing clients with personalized services. Trademark Registration can be a complex process, but our Trademark Attorneys are familiar with the laws governing Trademarks. If you are considering filing for a Trademark, please don’t hesitate to contact our Trademark Attorneys.
Trademark registry of Pakistan
Islamabad is the headquarters of the Registrar of Trademarks, which is responsible for registering Trademarks in Pakistan and administering the Trademarks Ordinance, 2001 (the Ordinance). In accordance with the Trademarks Ordinance, the Government may appoint a Registrar for Trademarks who has experience in intellectual property law, including patents, copyrights, and Trademarks.
According to the Ordinance, the registration system is based on Pakistan’s.
A property organization that is intelligent
Trademarks are registered through the Intellectual Property Organization of Pakistan, a regulatory body established in 2005. Patents and Trademarks are registered by IPO-P, a non-profit organization. It works closely with the International Trademark Association (INTA), which is a member of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
Search & Filing
- A Trademark search is required before the application process can begin.
- Selecting a Trademark class is the first step in registering a Trademark. By categorizing it, it can be distinguished from other marks and found more easily.
- Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure describes the classes available.
- The Pakistani Intellectual Property Office accepts applications both on paper and online.
Application for Trademark Registration & Examination
Trademark applications are examined and processed within four months of filing. A Trademark examiner’s report is issued once he has finished examining the Trademark application, which may include requests for clarifications or amendments. In addition, your application may be rejected if it is similar to a registered mark or a pending mark. By filing a written notice at the Registrar’s office along with the necessary documents and fees, you can appeal against a Trademark rejection within three months of the date of the order. On IPO Pakistan’s website (https://www.ipo.gov.pk), you can find all the information regarding Trademark protection, rights, and benefits. The Certificate with the TM Seal will be sent to you within 30 days of your acceptance for registration.
Opposition & Journal Publications
- The application has been rejected. A mark may be rejected if it does not meet at least one of the requirements discussed above, or if a third party opposes it.
- The Trademark Journal has been approved and published. If no objections are received, an approval order will be issued and published in the journal. Any person may object to the registration of a Trademark within four months of the publication of the journal under section 23 (1) (a).
- An opposition process. When an opposition is filed, a notice will be sent to both parties for a hearing before the Registrar of Trademarks.
- Further, after the opposition is filed, there will be no further hearing before the Registrar until either party requests one or the Court makes such a decision after an appeal has been filed against the Registrar’s decision which prevented the Trademark application from proceeding. The status remains pending until the final registration certificate is issued if no objections are raised during the publication period. According to sections 25 and 26 of the Trademark Ordinance 2001, the final registration certificate will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis based on the number of applications awaiting final examination.
Trademark Registration Certificate
Trademark Registration certificates will be issued if an application is successful. The certificate indicates the date the Trademark was filed in Pakistan, the class under which it is registered, the term of registration (10 years), and the date it was registered. The certificate proves your ownership and exclusive rights to your Trademark, so you should keep it safe. In Pakistan, you can also use the ® symbol to indicate that a Trademark is legally registered.
It is best to consult a Trademark Attorney in Pakistan when registering a Trademark
The Trademark should be registered under the Pakistani Trademark Ordinance 2001 once it has been selected. It provides legal protection if someone else uses the name/slogan without your permission.
The registration of a Trademark can be done without the help of a professional, but there are many issues that arise that need to be addressed by a Trademark expert. Your Trademark Attorney can advise you on the best legal strategy based on your particular circumstances.
To register a Trademark, contact us
Our firm can help you register a Trademark in Karachi, Islamabad, or Rawalpindi. A team of experienced lawyers can guide you through the process and make sure your Trademark is properly registered.
To get started, simply contact us and let us know what you need. We will then provide you with a free consultation so that we can discuss your options and answer any questions you may have.